A clean carpet is a great way to ensure your home looks nice and smells fresh. However, accidents happen- and even the most careful of us can find ourselves with stains on our carpeted floors. Cleaning up stains from a carpet can seem scary, but don’t panic! The first step is taking fast action against the stain. From there, it depends on the stain.
Below, we’ll review some common carpet stains and provide some cleaning tips to remove (or prevent) the stain. Our cleaning suggestions contain items you likely already have in your home, making them accessible and easy to remember when a stain occurs.
Note: As always, test a small area of your carpet before using any rubbing alcohol, vinegar, or hydrogen peroxide.
Cleaning Pet Stains From Carpet
- Wear gloves.
- Remove any solids.
- Blot (do not rub) dry.
- Create a solution of hot water and dish soap. Spray on the area, wait 5 minutes, and blot.
- Create a solution of water and white vinegar. Spray on the area, wait 10 minutes, and blot.
- Finish by cleaning with a carpet-safe enzyme cleaner and stain solution.
Cleaning Mud and Dirt Stains From Carpet
- Let the mud dry.
- Scrape any stuck mud, and vacuum the area.
- Blot on a solution of dish soap and water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Blot and repeat as needed.
Food Stains From Carpet
For all food stains, the first step is to remove any solids and blot up as much of the stain as possible.
For Tomato-Based Food Stains:
- Use a solution of dish soap and cold water.
- Soak a rag into the solution, and let the rag sit on the stain.
- Blot and repeat with a new rag as needed.
For Chocolate, Berries, and most Non-Tomato-Based Stains:
Tip: If the chocolate is melted, place a bag of ice cubes over it.
- Clean with a solution of dish soap and warm water.
- Blot with clean water and dry when the stain has lifted.
Cleaning Drink Stains From Carpet
For all drink stains, start by blotting and soaking up as much of the stain as you can.
For Coffee, Tea, and Lighter Juice Stains:
- Spray with a solution of warm water, dish soap, and vinegar.
- Let it sit for around 30 minutes, then blot.
- Sprinkle the area with baking soda.
- Leave the baking soda for at least one hour or up to overnight. Then vacuum.
For Red Wine and Darker Juice Stains:
- Soak with club soda.
- Mix a solution of hydrogen peroxide and dish soap. Saturate the stain, let it sit, then blot.
- Repeat as needed.
Cleaning Grease Stains From Carpet
- Sprinkle the stain with baking soda, and let it sit.
- Vacuum (If there is liquid grease, make sure you are using a wet/dry vac).
- Spray the area with rubbing alcohol, and let it sit.
- Use a solution of dish soap and water and a small brush. Begin scrubbing the stain.
- Scrub, blot, and repeat as needed.
For all of these, if the stain persists, you can try any carpet-safe stain remover. If, after that, the stain still persists, well….We can help. As Phoenix’s premier premium flooring retailer, Carpet Closeouts offers high-quality flooring at affordable prices. We offer all major flooring types and run specials to ensure you get the best deal possible.
Our team is happy to work with you to ensure you get the right flooring for your home, and we ship our flooring throughout the United States. To get a quote, give us a call at 602-493-7700. For more information and tips, visit our blog!